Annual Penny Drive
2016 – 2017 Penny Drive
Every year, the Ronald McDonald House honors our children and their families for McHappy Day in May. As a part of this celebration we invite all the valley elementary school classes to participate in the Penny Challenge and collect pennies to help support our mission to improve the health and well-being of children around the world.
How It Works
Teams made up of schools, grade levels or classes competing in the Penny Challenge earn points by collecting pennies. One point is earned for every penny collected. Teams can take points away from other teams by putting silver coins or dollar bills in the other team’s containers. The winner is the team with the most points at the end of the Challenge. The money raised during the Penny Challenge will be donated to the Ronald McDonald House of the Rio Grande Valley.
- The Challenge is run over five consecutive school days.
- Each team will need a large container that can be sealed. A 1 gallon plastic milk container works well. Just cut a slit in it large enough to insert coins and bills.
- Label each container with the name of the team, teacher or room number.
- The containers should be placed in a central location where there is adult supervision.
- Teams earn one point for every penny in the container.
- Teams can take points away from other teams by putting silver coins and dollar bills in the containers of other teams. Each silver coin or bill reduces the number of points by the monetary amount of the coin or bill. A nickel reduces the points by 5, a dime by 10, a dollar by 100 and so on.
- Containers are emptied and counted daily. The total monetary amount of silver coins and bills is deducted from the total amount of pennies each day.
- Totals for all teams are posted daily to encourage competition.
- To create excitement build a Challenge trophy that is awarded daily to the leading team.
- The winner at the end of the Challenge can keep the trophy.
- Form a committee to help count and roll the coins. Or ask a local bank or parents to volunteer to help.
- Have fun!
How To Register
Register your school by filling out the entry form below and faxing it to (956) 412-6300.
What to Do With All Those Coins
We would really appreciate it if you would cash in your rolled coins at a bank and then drop off or mail a check to the Ronald McDonald House. However if you can’t then you may drop off your coins at the Ronald McDonald House in Harlingen. The deadline to drop off your money or pennies is April 1st.
What Do You Win?
The winning class from the Rio Grande Valley will get a class PIZZA PARTY and a big heartfelt thank you from all of the families and children who depend on the help of the Ronald McDonald House Charities. Also all participating teams will get a certificate.
Drop off or mail checks to the Ronald McDonald House located at 1720 Treasure Hills in Harlingen, TX no later than April 1st.
About Ronald McDonald House Charities
1. The Ronald McDonald House in the Rio Grande Valley is located in Harlingen, but there are also Family Rooms in the Edinburg Children’s Hospital and the Valley Baptist Medical Center in Harlingen.
2. We ask families staying at the Ronald McDonald House for a $10 nightly donation although the actual cost for us is over $100 per family per night. However we never turn away any families who cannot afford the donation which is why the Pull Tab Campaign and all of our other fund raisers are so important.
3. All of the money from the recycled pull tabs is used for the Ronald McDonald House and the Family Rooms in Edinburg and Harlingen.
4. Worldwide there are 300 Ronald McDonald Houses operating in 52 countries, offering rooms nightly for families with sick children in hospitals.